Monday, August 27, 2007

Writers in their own words-GCC



On this August Monday, how about a flight to France?

Laura Florand's "semi-autobiographical" debut, BLAME IT ON PARIS, has been called "hilarious" by Booklist and a "frothy, French confection" by Publisher's Weekly.

Here's Laura in her own words:

1.) How did you come up with the idea for this book? Are you more driven by plot or by character?

It generated itself. I was living this absolutely crazy, fun, rich story, and I had always written (usually fiction), so one day I saw a travel anthology was looking for travel stories on wine, and I decided to write a travel essay about one little bit of what was going on. Then the same publisher had another anthology, on Provence, and I had a funny story about that. And then I realized that I didn’t have just little bits of funny stories here and there, but that everything that had happened from the moment I first spotted that handsome Parisian waiter was a wonderfully funny and romantic true story that could really reach people.

2.) Who's your favorite character in this book and why?

Sébastien. He’s so cute, that’s why. Also, the first time I met him, he gave me his chocolate mousse.

3.) What's your writing process/writing environment like?

My writing environment is a complete mess. My writing process is really to just sit down and write. I will write scenes that come to me for no other reason than I love the imagined scene. For some of those, a story arc develops in my head, and I go for it. I have others, though, absolutely beautiful scenes that I just love, and which keep sitting there, because the story arc for them just won’t come to me. Maybe it never will. Many of those scenes I eventually forget, but there are some I would just love to see develop into a story.

4.) What's your favorite part of writing?

The dreaming part. Sometimes re-reading something and realizing that it’s very good, that I really nailed it in those few pages.

5.) What's the best piece of advice you've ever gotten about writing?

To write. Write, write, write. But don’t forget you’re writing for people to read it. Unless you don’t care if people read it, in which case, just enjoy yourself.

So, check out Laura's story--sounds like a perfect way to while away the long weekend ahead!