Thursday, November 29, 2007

In the Midst of Things

I'm in the middle of revisions of Unexpected Grace, and I'm having a blast with them. I'll write more about the process next week, but suffice it to say that having a brilliant reader point out one change can open up a world of possibilities. It was definitely a "lightbulb" moment--one of those "Gee, I could have had a V-8" experiences. I'd been too close to the manuscript to see how to tighten everything up and add some needed tension. Once my reader suggested it, I knew it was perfect. Other eyes are always a good thing!

My blogging buddy Larramie tagged me for a meme I'm actually going to be able to complete. Here's the scoop:

1. You have to post these rules before you give the facts.
2. Players, you must list one fact that is somehow relevant to your life for each letter of your middle name. If you don't have a middle name, just make one up...or use the one you would have liked to have had.
3. When you are tagged you need to write your own blog-post containing your own middle name game facts.
4. At the end of your blog-post, you need to choose one person for each letter of your middle name to tag. Don't forget to leave them a comment telling them they're tagged, and to read your blog.

This will be easy because, like at least half of the little girls born circa 1960, my middle name is ANN. (I used to wish it had an "E" at the end to make a very plain name--Judy Ann Merrill--a tad more exotic.)

Here goes - -

A--I'm an Author. As a little girl I dreamed about being an author. Then, I spent years (oh, say, 7!) thinking it would never, ever happen. Then, when it did, I couldn't fully wrap my brain around it. But, man, the first time I wrote it on my tax form, I was thrilled. And I've finally gotten so that it rolls off my tongue (right along with "novelist") when someone asks what my job is. Totally cool.

N--I Notice things. Details, oddities, you name it. I have a head full of trivia and tidbits that I can draw from when I'm writing. My kids have learned, sometimes much to their dismay, that they better not change their story because I'll call them on it. My husband refers to this as my "spidey-senses." Whatever it is, it serves me well.

N--Never say Never, Never give up. I can't help it, I'm a glass half-full person. I've had too many times where I've thought, that's it, I'm throwing in the towel, but I could never actually do it. Like when I told my sister, late in 2000, that I'd had it with dating and I wasn't going to even attempt it again until my boys were out of the house (in 5 or 6 years). Then, less than 6 weeks later, a friend told me she had a guy for me to meet. That guy? He's now my husband. Or a manuscript I'd been working on for years. The one I had almost relegated to the trash heap. Yeah, the one you can now buy in bookstores across the country (and in a handful of foreign countries). The world is too full of possibilities and surprises to ever give up.

There you go--3 facts, one for each letter.

Now I need to tag three other bloggers (I hate this part of memes).

Therese at Making it Up
Daisy at Compost Happens
Melanie at Refrigerator Door

8 comments:

Daisy said...

I have the other half's middle name -- Lynn. I should be able to handle this!
And I'm sure you wanted the e, just like Anne of Green Gables. She thought it was "ever so much more elegant" with an e!

Carleen Brice said...

I love the title, Unexpected Grace. You just confirmed something for me with this post. I'm sort of lost in my story and not sure what to do and I was just thinking maybe it's time to send it out to my wonderful beta reader. Now that I've read your post, I believe so. Thanks!

Judy Merrill Larsen said...

Daisy--what was it with those middle names ending in "nn"? And yes, the extra "e" (on Lynn, too, for that matter) seemed elegant.

Carleen--I love the title too--hope I get to keep it! And I'm glad I gave you some direction with your WIP.

Sustenance Scout said...

OK Daisy Lynn and Judy Ann, Karen Lynn here. Yes, we are children of the 60s, aren't we?! I notice details, too, Judy a habit that pretty much drives non-detailed people crazy. Is it my fault they're all so lazy? :) K.

Larramie said...

Judy Ann or Judith Anne? Now seriously, who would be the better storyteller -- the one who can capture reality and choose a brilliant reader to boot? ;)

Judy Merrill Larsen said...

K--details are fun, aren't they?

Larramie--thanks for tagging me for this meme; it was fun (and easy!). Good point about the name--while I spent years disliking it (would it have killed my parents to name me Ellen??), I've grown comfortable with it.

Lisa said...

More confirmation of the 60's trend:
Lisa JeaNNE Kenney
Born: July 1961

And I love Never, Never give up!

Judy Merrill Larsen said...

Ha, Lisa, I love it. More NN or NNE names. What was in the water?